Friday, August 22, 2008

Enhanced Baby Bonus is being back-dated!

The full details of the Enhanced Baby Bonus ("EBB") was announced on Monday (18/08/08). It was meant to have taken effect for babies born on/after 01 Jan 2009. Upon hearing this, naturally I was a little disappointed but since what I "lugi" is the extra 4 weeks maternity leave and the additional S$1K cash bonus, I just shrug my shoulder and said, "ok lor".

But this effective date definitely created ALOT of hoo-ha in the forum, especially for 1st time mothers who will lose out a total of S$7K cash ($1K cash bonus + $6K CDA topup) as well as the 4 weeks maternity leave. Someone started a thread to gather names for petition and the online feedback was flooded with tons of entries 'complaining' the inequality in treatment (2004 vs 2008).

Today, the EBB is in the news (again). The government will back-date this to start wef 17/08/08. That means I'll be entitled (hurray!) but friends like CT, Shannon, Stef will not be eventhough their babies are born in Aug'08. I wonder would moms with babies born between 01/08 - 16/08 will also submit a petition? Esp since the 2004 Baby Bonus scheme was effectively back-dated to 01/08/2004??

In every policy, it's hard to please everyone. I was quite certain that the government will not back-date this as I thought they would have anticipated the outcry when they announce the effective date. I guess I was wrong. :p

No comments: