Thursday, September 11, 2008

Introducing Nigel Yeo!

How time flies! Nigel is 7 day old today! I wanted to update the blog earlier but the initial days are always this busy. Feeding, pumping, changing diapers, trying to get a wink etc etc. I'm still trying to figure out a workable routine as I'm definitely producing more breastmilk that Nigel can finish so I need to figure out how to feed him and pump most efficiently.

But before all that, these are Nigel's stats at birth:
  • Date/Time: 05.09.08 1325
  • Length/weight: 51cm. 3500gm
  • Head circumference: 36cm
As to 'birth story' to share, I guess there isn't any since I went for c-section. I opt for epidural c-section again this time coz I want to be able to hear & see him immediately after birth. That's the closest I get to 'natural' birth I guess. During the op, I can feel the pain (quite painful infact). They up the dosage of the epidural so much so that even my chest area became numb and after the op, I have to work harder to breathe. I'm not breathless but definitely take more effort to take breathes.

Recovery wise I feel that this time round I'm doing slower than previous c-section. I guess not being as fit as before is the main culprit. I did try to walk more at the later stage of this pregnancy but the constant pain at the groin just prevents me from doing so. So I guess chicken & egg situation, the less I walk, the slower I recover now bah.

So far Nigel is doing great. He latches on quite quickly and suckles well. Altho he has the tendency to doze off while suckling (don't all babies) overall he is ok. Definitely more patient compared to Valerie's time. I guess a little more experience also helps. Back during Valerie's time, I guess the lack of experience is the main stumbling block to successful breastfeeding.

As to Valerie & Nigel, I think their 1st meeting went off fantastic. Valerie was very loving and sayang Nigel. The subsequent days went just as well and she has not shown any signs of jealousy. After I came home (Nigel was home 1 day after due to jaundice), she has been a darling. She even sang songs to Nigel (Rock-a-bye Baby & Twinkle Stars)! And when Nigel cries, she'll come by and ask him don't cry. She is such a sweet darling and DH & I are very happy to be blessed with a girl like her.

One thing that didn't change much is how HOT I am throughout the day! And the weather is definitely not helping! Sometimes I wonder why is it when I'm doing my confinement, the sun must shine like there is no tomorrow!!! ARGH!

No comments: